Monday, July 10, 2017

Email #44 - The Geico Gecko and the 4th

July 10, 2017
Montgomery, Alabama


Happy Monday Everyone! Sounds like your week has been "QUACKTASTIC!" I love it! The week here in Montgomery has been a blast. It's been quite the exciting week! Full of interesting experiences and hysterical ones as well.  

So I guess the first thing is.... You know how they have those questions like: "What's one thing you did for the first time on your mission?" Well I finally have one of those answers! This week we were talking with a Less Active and he asked us if we could come over this week and help him out a little bit "putting up some shutters and moving his mountain." "WAIT! Did he just say mountain? Like back in Utah?" My companion was like, "Yeah...." with a little bit of a sigh.... So we went over and turns out it's this massive kid's playhouse thing that he wanted to put in his kids room. So Yes! We disassembled and reassembled a mountain this week.


When it comes to the 4th of July these people here really know how to celebrate when it comes to food. Wow! It was spectacular! We had 3 meal appointments in one day and we just were bursting at the seams... One of the meal appointments was with an Investigator named Fred. He is just the man! He made us ribs, mac and cheese, cole slaw, baked beans, fried chicken, etc. Wow! So darn good... I wish I could cook like that!


On Thursday I was asked to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting in church. So as I arrived on Sunday Morning for Ward Council, I realized that the entire Stake Presidency was here to visit as well. It was a little bit intimidating... so soon enough I'm standing at the pulpit and I'm about 2 minutes in and I hear a bunch of whispering behind me. As I'm speaking I'm thinking, "Why is the Stake Presidency and Bishopric all whispering..." After a few minutes I look toward the front right side of the congregation and I see a few elderly women sitting by each other. I look at their faces and they all are terrified and trying not to scream! Out of no where I see this lizard crawling on the benches and I'm still speaking trying my hardest to keep it together. I'm seeing these elderly women and little children freaking out and trying not to scream while I'm just trying not to burst into laughter while at the pulpit. It was so dang funny! I glanced behind me and the Bishop is just trying not to laugh. It was quite the meeting! I got some good feedback from the talk so that was good.


We have an investigator named Steph who is a few weeks away from Baptism so that's super exciting. She is amazing and fits in super well with the ward. It will be an exciting experience. Our last lesson with her we went over the Gospel of Jesus Christ and she basically just bore her testimony to us about how she knows that through Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End we can become perfected and return to live with Him. It was an amazing experience.


It really is amazing that through the Doctrine of Christ we are able to become perfected and we are able to continually grow and become more like Him. That's our goal, to become perfected and live with Him again. Elder Brian K. Ashton said, “The doctrine of Christ allows us to access the spiritual power that will lift us from our current spiritual state to a state where we can become perfected.” That really is amazing. Through the doctrine, He lifts us and helps us become perfect just as He is. I know that's true. I know this gospel is true, and I'm so thankful for the opportunity I have to be here in Alabama sharing it with His children.
Thank you for your support and love. You are all in my prayers! Love you all! Have a stellar week! Keep smiling!

Strength and Honor    
Elder Noah Featherstone

Store Contacting at the Mall with the homies and their Russell Westbrook shades


My friend Octavio I met at the Mall on the 4th

 Zone Conference with a bunch of other missionaries

No comments:

Post a Comment