Monday, March 6, 2017

Email #26 - Being a Missionary

March 6, 2017
Birmingham, Alabama


Hello Everyone! How are you all doing? Anything eventful this week?


So this week was a complete RIOT! Elder Krupa and I just had a blast! We have been doing a lot this week. But first things first. Can I write a little note to the family of Sister Dinning?


Sister Dinning was always one of my favorite people. She was always so loving, and kind whenever I was around her. She was one of those people that I looked up to when I thought of the scripture in Enos that talks about being "unshaken" in their faith of Christ. She was such a trooper through trials and one that was a great example to me of truly being a disciple of our Savior, Jesus Christ. She will be an amazing guardian angel. I'll really really miss her.


A little about the week. Last week we were able to do a lot of fun and interesting “finding” ideas! But this one is my favorite! We met a few Hispanics that wanted to learn the piano so I offered to teach them!  Wow. The piano is surely paying off on the mission.  This week I taught 3 piano lessons in Spanish! That was a different experience.  It was super fun and they helped me a little bit with the words and technical terms about the piano that I didn't know.  So that was just a blast!  Elder Krupa would talk to the rest of the investigators friends and family while I was teaching and we have built up a few people that are super interested in the Gospel. How cool is that?  Opening doors by teaching the piano.


Also, every week we have English Class.  We advertise to the Hispanics to come and learn how to speak English.  We put up fliers at all the tiendas in the area and we have a few coming. After English Class on Wednesdays and Sundays we share a quick spiritual thought from either the Book of Mormon or teach a simplified version of one of the lessons and we have an Investigator named Oscar that we have started teaching from English Class!  This last week we have been doing our best to be creative in our finding ideas. It's been super super fun! I've loved It!


This week we had a Zone Training and we talked a lot about "listening." We talked about living our lives in a way that we can hear the Spirit constantly in our lives. By being obedient to the commandments of God we can hear the Spirit throughout each and everyday. It was a super cool discussion because a few other missionaries brought up a few points. One of them I really liked. We talked about listening to the person and not thinking about what we are going to say next. I really liked that because if we are truly listening with a loving heart to those around us we are being good listeners and showing that we really do love them, and that's what the gospel is really about right? Showing our love. If we are showing our love we are serving others.  We are reaching out to those we care about.  We are a smiling face to all those around us.  We are helping others feel of the enthusiasm of Christ.


Thank you for all you do and the great examples you are to me so far away.  Well I guess it's not that far but I'm definitely not in St. George! Love you all! Have a great week!


D&C 128:22


Strength and Honor

-Elder Noah Featherstone


No comments:

Post a Comment